What needle do you use with your pen device?
You have a choice when it comes to the needles you use with your pen device. Needles are an important part of diabetes care, so when was the last time you thought about your needles? Chances are you’re using the same needles your health care provider or pharmacist recommended with your first diabetes pen prescription—which means you may be missing out on more recent needle technology from Novo Nordisk, a leader in diabetes care for 100 years.
As of May 13, 2022 NovoTwist® 32G 5 mm needles were discontinued. Committed to improving the injection experience, Novo Nordisk offers many other needle options, like NovoFine® Plus—our shortest and thinnest needle that’s designed to make injections more comfortable.
Important information regarding the proper use of Novo Nordisk needles
- Refer to your medicine’s website or the instructions that were packaged with your medicine to see full Instructions for Use
- Always use a new needle for each injection to help ensure sterility and prevent blocked needles. Do not reuse or share needles with another person. You may give other people a serious infection or get a serious infection from them
Steps for using your needles
- Select a new needle
- Pull off the paper tab from the outer needle cap (See Figure A)
- Push the capped needle straight onto the pen and twist the needle on until it is tight (See Figure B)
- Pull off the outer needle cap. Do not throw it away (See Figure C)
- Pull off the inner needle cap and throw it away (See Figure D)
After your injection, put your used needles in an FDA-cleared sharps disposal container. For more information about safe sharps disposal and for specific information about sharps disposal in the state that you live in, go to the FDA’s website at: http://www.fda.gov/safesharpsdisposal
Needles are sold separately and may require a prescription in some states.